Onions are the most versatile vegetable when it comes to cooking, being the number 1 base ingredient for so many savoury dishes from sauces to soups, curries to casseroles. So how come so many of us still don't know how to chop an onion the correct way?
Follow these 5 easy steps to finely chop onions (and of course we'd recommend one of our Staysharp Self-Sharpening Utility Knives to make the job even easier).
- Chop the top off the onion and cut in half leaving the root attached
- Peel the skin away, discarding the brown layers, until you are left with the white onion halves
- Make 2 or 3 horizontal cuts into the first onion half, then cut down vertically, holding the onion together as you chop. Repeat with the other half.
- Turn the onion so the flat end is facing the knife and chop downwards with a slicing motion to create a finely chopped onion
- When you get to the end turn the onion on its side and cut again to finish